|Tic With It
Tourette Syndrome Association, Inc.
Detroit-East Michigan Chapter
|What will I do on my summer vacation?
In the Good Old Summer Time
If the Bowl-AThon is here, March 11, can summer be far away? The popular summer TS family outings are already in the planning stage.
- Family Camping. 4-5 days during the second or third week at Kensington Group Camp
- Canoe Trip, one day, on the Huron River near Wixom. On a Saturday. $25.
- Beach Day. Friday at the Kensington Park beach. 10:00 a.m-5:00p.m. BYO picnic. $4
Your TS Chapter plans these events specifically for the TS children who have socialization issues. That's professional language for not enough friends. It is also for the child who avoids other kids because of his/her tics, OCD, ADHD, etc. These outings allow all TS kids to relax and have Kid Fun in the summer.
- Family Picnic. Second or third Sunday. May be a pig roast. $?.
- Waterpark Day. Four Bears Waterpark, near Utica. No date yet. Each year Four Bears declared Tourette Syndrome Day on a Sunday in August. Open‹Free‹to all TS member families. RSVP required.
We are investigating the possibility of offering a real camp experience for TS kids. If you've never been able to send your TS child to summer camp, due to behaviors, ADHD, OCD, shyness, etc., this could be the answer. The difference between regular camp and TS camp is TS aware parent volunteers on hand to monitor the children's behavioral issues and special needs. They serve as a liaison with regular camp staff and nurse. If there is enough kid interest and enough parent volunteers willing to take one 12 hour shift during the time their child is at the camp, we will set it up.
We will be able to accommodate up to 24 children ages 7-10 for 4-5 days and 5-7 days for children ages 11-14. Trained staff will run all activities. There will be swimming, canoeing, horseback riding and other activities.
If we are able to offer this concept, the fee will be a little more than regular camp, approximately $225-275 per week. The site would probably a Y camp near Holly. We will need volunteers, men and women, for both night and day shifts. Obviously, we¹ll need to know if we have enough volunteers before May 1.
If you are interested, call Art, 248-577-0872, in March or April.
Table of Contents
Other Sites of Interest